Monday 7 July 2014

I knew you were coming...

...so I baked a cake!

Now that I'm back home after being Up North in Traverse City last week, I feel like today is the first REAL day of summer vacation. I got up early today and drove Zack to his first day of drivers' training at Center Line High School in Center Line. Then, I came back home and took Nick over to Grace's house where I took both of them to an arts camp this week at Arts Academy in the Woods in Fraser.

Now, I'm home getting ready to unpack stuff from my trip to Japan. Mary Beth is at a meeting in Lansing for work. So, essentially, I'm home with flexible time, which is why it finally feels like my summer vacation has started. Kinda weird, huh?

My cousin Mark watched our dog Teddy while we were Up North. As a way of saying thank you, I baked him his favorite cake, German Chocolate. I made the cake in heart-shaped pans. Pretty neat, I think! I have to wait for it to cool before I assemble the two hearts, one on top of the other, and then frost it with chocolate coconut frosting. Delicious!

There's an expression from a Three Stooges movie where a woman bakes a cake for the Stooges and says, when they arrive one by one at her house, "I knew you were coming, so I baked a cake." The only thing is, Larry, Moe, and Curly each think she is their girlfriend. It turns out, the joke is on them at the end. I always thinks about the line from that movie when I bake cakes. Don't ask me why my brain does weird things like that, I wish I knew!




3 comments:

  1. That cake looks good!

    How is your trip? I wish you good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My trip was amazing! I can't wait to show you more pics when I see you.

    How's your summer going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks so good! How long did it take to cook?
    -Jordyn

    ReplyDelete