Tuesday 28 January 2014

When it's so cold...play basketball!

I have been teaching for 20 years in Chicago and Detroit, and I have never had so many days off due to weather. Today is the fifth of this school year and it's only the end of January. Wow! This is amazing. Cklimate change extreme weather or the natural weather cycles of the earth? A question for another post. And now, on to basketball...

I have to say, though, that in additiuon to this being the first season with so many days off, this is also the first time that my favorite high school basketball team, the UD Jesuit Cubs, have been ranked so high in the state polls. The polls are cretaed by coaches and sportswriters who follow basketball and know a lot about the game. Ever since I started following the team when I was 14, I have never seen such an amazing squad. It has been fun to see them play defense even more that score points. They are absolutely tenacious. They press and press and press and force most teams to turn the ball over, which results in easy points for the Cubs.

Tonight they play against Catholic Central at CC, if the game isn't cancelled because of weather. Last time the teams played, UD won by 43. I'll be curious to see if CC adjusts their style of play to make for a more competitive game or not. I'd be shocked if UD won by less than 30. This makes up for all the times CC has destroyed UD in football over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment