Saturday 11 January 2014

Dunk pt. 1

The fast break was on! Cassius Winston had just stolen the basketball and flipped it up ahead to Noah King who was rapidly approaching the basket. There was no Catholic Central player on U of D's end of the court.

I stood there in my spot as a Dad's Club Security Guard with absolute certainty of what I was about to see. A monster dunk. No question. Noah would elevate, bring the ball up, and jam it home to the thunderous cheers of the 250 students, parents, and fans who had packed the U of D side of the gym.

I was 15 feet from the basket, standing on the corner of the floor. My job was to make sure that no one crossed the floor, but instead exited by the doors at the ends of the gym. The best part about my job was that hardly anyone ever tried to cross the court, so I got to stand and watch the game from the floor. It was a great spot to get a sense of just how fast the game moved at the varsity level.

No comments:

Post a Comment