Wednesday 5 March 2014

Discipline

Discipline is difficult. When I say discipline I mean daily practice. I have been trying to read and write daily, and finding the time is hard. There are so many things that I feel I need to do. Taking the time to read and write can feel like an unnecessary indulgence. In fact, it is critical to my integrity as a teacher, reader and writer. It's like, I have to remember to tell myself, "I think, therefore I read...and write."

The same must be applied to physical exercise and prayer. Men's sana in corporeal sano. The three legged stool of the mind body spirit balance only stands if the daily discipline is in place.

Today starts Ash Wednesday for Christians, the beginning of the 40 day period before Easter known as Lent. It is a time prayer, fasting, and reflection. It reminds me of Eid for Muslims and Rosh Hashana for Jews. This is a time of added discipline, of making time to pray and reflect on what really matters in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment