Friday 2 May 2014

Oh What a Night!

Last night the Friends of Different Learners, an organization of parents and teachers dedicated to serving the needs of students in BPS who are differently-abled, had their 2014 Appreciation Awards Ceremony. I was fortunate to have been among the many outstanding BPS teachers and staff who were honored.

I was nominated by Carlie, and it was great to be there with her and her mom. I brought Nick with me as my guest.

After speeches from Dr. Nerad, our superintendent; Lenny Trotta, a junior at Groves; and another teacher whose name I forget, we were treated to a a great slideshow of pictures of kids and the honorees. Carlie and her mom picked a photo of the two of us that I had never seen, from Halloween 2012, when Carlie was Wonderwoman and I was Sustainabilty. It was very cute.

At the end of the show, we went into the atrium outside the auditorium and had some delicious fruit, cookies, and lemonade. I saw Mrs. Morris, Mrs. Spencer-Riepen, Mr. Bodle and Ms. Holloway, all of whom were honored as well.

I am blessed to be able to serve kids, all kids with all different kinds of abilities, every day. The opportunity to serve builds empathy and compassion in me and helps me grow as a human being, something I will always do until the day I die. 

Oh, what a night!

1 comment:

  1. That's was an amazing story, Mr Joseph, it was even better from when you read it out in class. I hope you have more oppurtunities like this, because it sounded like a blast. Maybe I'll nominate you for something one day. Have a wonderful time out in, California I believe.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete