Friday 9 May 2014

On My Way Home

I'm sitting at O'Hare Airport in Chicago waiting to fly home to Detroit. My flight is delayed because the crew is late in arriving. I think they are coming in on a different flight. Tomorrow will be weird because I will teach 6th LA, go to my friend Jean's funeral, and then be back in the afternoon before Choice Hour. I think. I just don't know exactly when.

At any rate, I had an absolutely incredible experience yesterday. After having a day of interesting and inspiring meetings in preparation for my trip to Japan, all of us 50 teachers got on a bus to go to the Japanese consulate. A consul is a diplomat, someone who works in a foreign country to represent citizens of their home country who are studying, working or traveling in that country. Since 25 Japanese teachers were traveling in the USA and 25 American teachers were traveling to Japan in June, the consul invited over to his house for dinner.

"House" is not really an accurate description of the palatial mansion that we visited last night, however. This place was an absolutely beautiful Italianate stone mansion built in 1905. It had an incredible view of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco Bay. We were treated to an exquisite Japanese buffet of sushi and California rolls. It was extremely delicious. We were all excited to get dressed up and celebrate our collaboration.

At this point, I will let the pictures do the talking. By the way, I just finished writing this post for the second time. I'm still at the airport and my flight is still delayed. There is free wifi, but it's only good for 20 minutes, then you have to pay. I used 20 minutes on my phone, 20 on my laptop, and I have about five minutes left on my ipad. Sometimes this is just how things go. I will be happy to get home.

But, I digress. And now, the pictures from yesterday's adventure in The City by the Bay...

 Jerry Rice autographed helmet...
 ...in this trophy case in the hotel
 Sitting and getting
 Sara sensei, balloon twister

























4 comments:

  1. I hope you had a good flight and I wish you good luck on your funeral!

    ReplyDelete
  2. get it "O'Hare air" -port

    I hope you make it back!!!
    Even though I already saw the outcomes and when you read this it wont be news anymore.

    I thought the star wars song was funny. (you __TOLD__ me in class tomorrow).

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pics didn't load for me so it said
    But, I digress. And now, the pictures from yesterday's adventure in The City by the Bay...



    Jerry Rice autographed helmet...


    ...in this trophy case in the hotel


    Sitting and getting


    Sara sensei, balloon twister











    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It seems like you had a great time!

    -Megan C.

    ReplyDelete