Thursday 20 February 2014

Just Use Your Imagination

There are many ways to be free. One of them is to transcend reality by imagination, as I try to do. -Anais Nin, writer (1903-1977)

When I saw this quote this morning, I couldn't help but reflect on the power of our imagination to transform ourselves. I know that Superhero Training Academy helps me do that. The trick is to figure out a way to empower my students to use the power of STA to transform themselves.

I recently got an email from a former student, Sid, who is a ninth grader at Groves HS. It says:

On Feb 14, 2014, at 4:12 PM, Sid wrote:


Hey Mr Joseph, I'm sure you remember the super hero project you had us do in 5th grade (or was it 6th?). Anyway, I'm a freshmen at groves now and its back once again. Laughing moon and friends came to talk to us last week and we have been assigned the task of using our core forces to do some good in the world outside of school. To be honest its kinda wierding me out because its been so long since Ive done a group project outside of school. But I was wondering if my team and I could come talk to your class one day and teach them something worth knowing and that will help them or at least be fun. We had trouble brainstorming ideas because its been so long since we were in middle/elementary school and we were wondering if you could give us some advice also; what do you think your kids struggle with or would enjoy learning about? So If you would allow us to take a little time out of your day, we don't want to be a burden or anything, it would be really appreciated.
 
I felt so excited to get this email because I felt like this kid was making a connection from 5th grade to 9th. Four years in my life is nothing because I'm 45 years old. In Sid's life, however, four years is 30% of his life. The point is, it was a long time ago for him. The fact that he remembered something from his time on 5/6 and wants to reconnect with our current Joberst kids is fantastic. What better way to hook in our current group of kids than to hear from a ninth grader? 
 
The power of our imaginations. No limit.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is a wonderful thing that he is connecting to his old life, and it would be fun to hear from a old Joberts student.
    - Megan C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so coincidental that they chose us and groves

    Daniel

    P.s. Or did they just do all the schools?

    ReplyDelete