Tuesday 14 October 2014

Gandhi Graphically

I am in the process of actually reading my very frst graphic novel from cover to cover. As a reading teacher, I never was really drawn to graphic novels, because I didn't really consider them "real" books. That was my bias.

Of cours, like a lot of things over the past 25 years, my mind was changed by my wife, Mary Beth, who is a voracious reader. Reading is one of MB's biggest hobbies. She is in three book clubs and reads every night for at least 30-45 minutes. So whern she started reading graphic novels, I noticed.

I have always been fascinated by the life and work of Mahatma Gandhi, but the extent of my understanding of his life is limited to the movie, "Gandhi". When MB brought a grahic novel home from the library called Gandhi: My Life is My Message, I paid attention. When she said, "You really should read this graphic novel," I knew I had to read it. When she said, "I really like graphic novels," I knew they were something I needed to read, too. 

Reading is very much a social activity. We take book recommendations from friends. Those books change our lives. Graphic novels are changing mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment