Sunday 29 June 2014

Yuki Reunion!

On Sunday afternoon I had a wonderful visit with our Japanese son, Yuki, who was with us for an exchange year in Royal Oak from 2012-2013. He and his whole family drove four hours from their home to take me out to a delicious tempura feast in Tokyo. We then had dessert at my hotel before they drove straight back home in the same day. They treated me like a king!They brought all kinds of amazing gifts for my family and me.

Yuki's family could understand most of what I said if I spoke very slowly. Yuki translated a few things for them from English to Japanese. Yuki and his family made a short video message for my family back home. The best part about the whole visit was just being with them.

 When Yuki walked into the hotel lobby where we agreed to meet, I asked him if he wouldn't mind taking a picture with my teacher friends, who were meeting there to get ready to go out. Yuki was happy to comply.

 Tempura is basically any kind of food dipped in an egg batter and then fried. It is delicious!

 This was potato and some other vegetable. We had miso soup that had little clams in it for flavoring. I had to hold them in the bowl with my chopsticks.

 Peace!

 I was a bit cramped, sitting Japanese-style.

 Yuki's family picked me up in their Toyota mini-van.

 Here's a really cool poster and t-shirt Yuki's family gave me.

At my hotel preparing to say our goodbyes

No comments:

Post a Comment